The average person uses 150 litres of water everyday. According to Water UK that equates to £405 per year or £33.75 per month for the average household in the UK.

It may also interest you to know (if you don’t already) that water makes up 70% of the earth. 97.5% of the earth’s water supply is salt water and of the remaining 2.5% of fresh water, only 2% of this is locked in ice caps and glaciers. More on this can be found at H2ouse

Those with a water meter can directly monitor the impact of water saving measures. Those who don’t may still notice a direct impact on their finances as they may be heating less water, so saving money on their energy bills.

Cleaning waste water is a very energy intensive process. If we can reduce our waste water we are helping the environment.

We need water for everything we do – washing, cooking, growing crops and even construction, to name a few. The day could come when water runs out. In 2017 Cape Town, South Africa of what can happen when water supplies come under threat. For years the city was using more water than it could sustainably supply. The city’s government warned of an imminent day zero, when the water supply would simply run out.

Whilst NASA has confirmed traces of water have been found on Mars, I’m guessing even if there is a plentiful water supply on Mars it might be difficult to transport! Not to mention the enormous carbon footprint. It really is very wise to save water now.

The Eden Project has on their website 10 ways to save water. The following 10 points are taken directly from the Water saving tips page of the Eden Project website.

  1. Turn off the tap when you brush your teeth – this can save 6 litres of water per minute.
  2. Place a cistern displacement device in your toilet cistern to reduce the volume of water used in each flush. You can get one of these from your water provider.
  3. Take a shorter shower. Showers can use anything between 6 and 45 litres per minute. Consider getting an aerated shower head, which combines water and air, or inserting a regulator in your shower, which puts an upper limit on flow rates.
  4. Always use full loads in your washing machine and dishwasher – this cuts out unnecessary washes in between.
  5. Fix a dripping tap. A dripping tap can waste 15 litres of water a day, or 5,500 litres of water a year.
  6. Install a water butt to your drainpipe and use it to water your plants, clean your car and wash your windows. A water butt can collect around 5,000 litres a year.
  7. Water your garden with a watering can rather than a hosepipe. A hosepipe can use as much as 1,000 litres of water an hour. Mulching your plants (with bark chippings, heavy compost or straw) and watering in the early morning and late afternoon will reduce evaporation and also save water.
  8. Fill a jug with tap water and place this in your fridge. This will mean you do not have to leave the cold tap running for the water to run cold before you fill your glass.
  9. Install a water meter. When you’re paying your utility provider for exactly how much water you use, laid out in an itemised bill, there’s an incentive to waste less of the stuff.
  10. Invest in water-efficient goods when you need to replace household products. You can now get water-efficient showerheads, taps, toilets, washing machines, dishwashers and many other water-saving products. For more information visit the Waterwise website.

Get your water saving journey started today

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: